10.20.2009

Breastmilk: Good to the last drop

That is what I told my husband one night when he asked me why I was shaking and banging the horn of my pump against the bottle that I had just pumped 5oz into.

Now, I know some mothers decide to formula feed or can't, no matter how hard they try and how much they want to be able to nurse just can't. I have no qualms what so ever with formula. Kyndall has had her fair share of formula herself, and I was formula fed. There have also been several times, late at night, while I am up pumping that I thought about giving up and switching to formula only.

However, what I do have a problem with is people who turn their noses up when mention breastfeeding or having to go nurse their baby. Breasts were created to be a nourishing part of the body, not the sex object that society has turned it into. Why is it acceptable to post pictures of women covering themselves with their hands or hair on the cover of magazines and then putting them at eye level to small children, yet, Heaven forbid, there is a picture of a mother nursing and bonding with her child?

I have people at work and friends ask me why or if I'm still nursing and them seem to squirm when I tell them that yes, as a matter of fact, I am. My goal was to make it to at least 12 months, and I am at 9 1/2 months. The other women at work say things like, "eww, that just disgusts me" or "after having to share my body with my baby for 9 months, I want it back as soon as possible after birth." Now, that is what I call selfish.

I finally had someone(other than my doctor or Kyndall's pediatrician) actually encourage me to continue for the next 2 1/2 months. They had bought something that caused a coupon to print out for Enfamil. We had been talking about our babies, and they asked me if I would like the coupon since they didn't use that particular formula. When I told them, thank you, but no thank you, we don't use enough formula to buy a big can of it, she looked at me and said "Way to go! Most mothers don't make it to 9 1/2 months. Keep up the good work!" That made me feel really good about myself and the accomplishment that I have done.

Whether you breastfeed or formula feed, keep up the good work. You are a good mother no matter how much criticism you get from others on how you feed your child. You have to do whats best for you and your baby. That is the only way you can and will be the best mother you possible can be. Keep it up moms!

No comments: